Spicy Five-Pepper T-Bone Steaks
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 35 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 beef T-bone steaks, cut 1-in. thick (about 16-oz. ea.)
+ 3 Tbsp. coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
+ 2 tsp. kosher salt
+ 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce:
+ 2 tsp. vegetable oil
+ 1/4 c. chopped onion
+ 1 tsp. minced garlic
+ 1 c. ketchup
+ 1/2 c. beef broth
+ 1/3 c. raisins
+ 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
+ 1 Tbsp. molasses
+ 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
+ additional beef broth (optional)
What to do:
1. Combine Five-Pepper Seasoning ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Reserve 2 tsp. for Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce. Set aside remaining mixture for seasoning beef steaks.
2. To prepare Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce, heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 min. or until tender but not browned. Stir in ketchup, broth, raisins, vinegar, molasses, soy sauce and reserved 2 tsp. Five-Pepper Seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently 10 min. to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. (Sauce will thicken slightly.)
3. Place sauce in blender or food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off for slightly chunky texture. (For a thinner sauce, additional broth may be added 1 Tbsp. at a time; pulse on and off after each addition.) Return sauce to saucepan; keep warm until ready to serve.
4. Press remaining Five-Pepper Seasoning evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11-16 min. (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15-19 min.) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
5. Remove bones; carve steaks crosswise into slices. Serve with sauce.
* Recipe as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
* Test Kitchen Tips:
Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce may be prepared ahead and frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. To reheat, heat from frozen in a saucepan over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
Calories: 335; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 48mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 1984mg;