My Shopping List
Garlic and Tri-Pepper-Crusted Beef Roast w/ Balsamic Sauce
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 2 1/4 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 boneless beef chuck eye (America's) roast, tied if desired (3-4 lb.)
Garlic and Tri-Pepper Rub:
+ 2 Tbsp. coarsely crushed or cracked mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
+ 4 cloves garlic, minced
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1 c. balsamic vinegar
+ 1/4 c. butter, softened
+ 4 tsp. all-purpose flour
+ 1 c. beef broth
+ 1/4 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine rub ingredients; press rub mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of roast, not resting in fat. Do not add water. Do not cover. Roast in 350°F oven 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hr. for medium rare; 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hr. for medium doneness.
2. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15-20 min. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.) Skim fat from drippings.
3. Meanwhile, bring vinegar to a boil in small nonreactive saucepan. Cook over medium heat 20 min. or until reduced to 1/4 c. Mix butter and flour in small bowl until smooth; set aside. Add broth, reserved drippings and pepper to saucepan. Gradually whisk in butter mixture until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 min., stirring constantly. Keep warm.
4. Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with sauce.
* Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff