My Shopping List
Wasabi-Beer Braised Brisket
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 4 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (4 to 4-1/2 lb.)
+ 2 cloves garlic, minced
+ 1 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 tsp. pepper
+ 2 medium onions, each cut into 12 wedges
+ 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
+ 1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
+ 2 tsp. wasabi paste
+ Coleslaw (recipe follows)
+ 3 whole wheat baguettes, cut into 10-12 pieces (4-1/2 to 5 in. each), split
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Press garlic evenly onto all surfaces of beef brisket. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place brisket in skillet; brown evenly. Remove brisket from skillet; season with salt and pepper.
2. Add onions to large stockpot or large baking pan. Place brisket over onions. Stir in beer and chili sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Continue cooking in 325°F oven 3-1/2 to 4 hr. or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare coleslaw.
4. Remove brisket; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 min. Stir in wasabi paste.
5. Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Return beef to cooking liquid; keep warm. Divide beef and onions evenly over roll bottoms; close sandwiches. Serve remaining sauce for dipping, if desired. Serve with coleslaw.
* Coleslaw: Combine 1/2 c. rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil, 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger and 2 tsp. honey in large bowl. Add 1 pkg. (16 oz.) coleslaw mix and 1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded red cabbage; toss to coat. Season with salt, if desired.
* Nutrition information per serving of 1/10 of recipe.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 519; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 59mg; Total Carbs: 51g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 41g; Sodium: 1005mg;