My Shopping List
Bacon and Sweet Potato Biscuits with Smoky Honey Butter
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 45 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 slices bacon, cut in 1/4-in. strips
+ 1 medium orange-fleshed sweet potato, or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled
+ 2 c. flour
+ 4 tsp. baking powder
+ 1 Tbsp. sugar
+ 1 tsp. baking soda
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 3/4 tsp. allspice
+ 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
+ 1 c. buttermilk
+ 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
+ 2 T. honey
What to do:
1. Wrap the sweet potato with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until very soft, 3-4 min. Transfer to a bowl, mash with a potato masher, and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until golden and crisp, about 8 min. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, then set aside to cool. Carefully set aside 2 Tbsp. of bacon drippings from the skillet.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice and pulse a few times. Add the cubed butter and pulse to make a coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and gently mix in the bacon, buttermilk, and 1c. of the mashed sweet potato (save any remaining potato for another use).
5. Transfer mixture to a floured work surface and knead a few times to form a dough. Pat the dough to about 1-in. thick, then gently fold in half. Gently repeat 4 more times. Roll the dough out to 3/4-in. thick, then use a floured 2 1/2-in. biscuit cutter to cut dough into biscuits, arranging them on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps and repeat to make a total of 12 biscuits.
6. Bake until the biscuits are browned and a tester comes out clean, 15-18 mins.
7. Meanwhile, combine the softened butter, honey, and reserved bacon drippings, mixing until smooth. Add salt to taste.
8. Serve the biscuits with the honey butter on the side.
* Serving-1 biscuit with 2 1/2 tsp. honey butter.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 260; Total Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 370mg;