My Shopping List
Italian Lemon Cookies
Courtesy of The incredible edible egg™
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 12 Min.
Chill Time: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
+ 1/2 tsp. baking soda
+ 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cold
+ 4 egg yolks
+ 1 c. sugar
+ 1/2 c. sour cream
+ 2-4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
+ 2-4 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel
What to do:
1. Mix flour and baking soda in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 min. Beat in sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel. Add yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time, to flour mixture, stirring just until combined after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, 30 to 60 min.
3. Heat oven to 350°F. Work with 1/4 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll pieces of dough on lightly floured surface into 6 x 1/2-in. ropes. Shape as desired; place on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake in 350°F oven until lightly browned, 12 to 14 min. Cool on baking sheets 5 min. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
* Shape this pliable dough into twists, knots, bows, wreaths or letters. Sprinkle with colored sugars or candy sprinkles before baking.
* Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.
* Add lemon juice and peel according to personal taste. Remember to grate the peel before juicing the lemons.
"For more ways to enjoy The incredible edible egg™, visit incredibleegg.org"
Calories: 50; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 16mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 10mg;